A Bright Star

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Glucose Testing

At my last doctor's appointment, Dr. V handed me this nice little bottle of orange liquid that would tell him whether or not I have developed gestational diabetes. In my past pregnancies, I've never developed it, but was surprised to have two very large babies that didn't result in c-section deliveries.
Here are some typical symptoms of women with gestational pregnancy diabetes:
Blurred vision, fatigue, increase infections, increased thirst, increased urination (I have this all the time!), nausea and vomiting.
Yesterday, I drank the orange drink - which didn't taste too bad. I remembered previously it being much thicker and nastier, but since Dr. V had me refrigerate it first that helped.
An hour later, I had to haul myself into the lab to have blood drawn. I've been going to the same clinic for almost 8 years now and the nurse pathologist has been the same, until today! I was so surprised to have someone new poking me. I am not fond of needles, especially when they are inexperienced so I was a little nervous. The nurse asked me 3x how to spell my last name before starting. I typically have good veins so it shouldn't be hard for anyone to get the blood, but for some reason, this new nurse decided she needed to dig around just a little. One vial was full and I was on my way. I can't imagine what would've been left on my arm if she needed to fill multilples.
Today I am left with a small bruise and a call from the doctor's office informing me that I do not have gestational diabetes! Yay!
Now, I can move on to the last trimester of the pregnancy with Little A moving around like a boxer. I have my next check-up on the 26th of October where Dr. V and nurse T will check my urine, weight, blood pressure, heartbeat and measure my every growing belly.
Once that is done I believe I'll be going to the doctor every two weeks until I am 36 weeks. Then, it will be every week.
It seems impossible that my IPs, my family, the agency and I are closer to the end of our journey than the beginning. I know my IPs are going to make wonderful daddies and I hope if and when they choose to have another child, they'll think of me to do this again for them.

No comments:

Post a Comment