A Bright Star

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Thursday, January 12, 2012

Since the Shock is Over

Yesterday I went to my 40-week appointment. The nurse went through her normal routine: urine check (good), blood pressure 115/72 (good) my heart rate 96 bpm (high - wow!), weight - I've lost 2 pounds (great).

Then into the exam room to get undressed from the waist down and wait for the doctor to come in for his portion of my check up. I laid down on my back, which is very uncomfortable, and he examined my belly feeling for Little A. He is still in place for delivery, yay! Dr. V measured my pregnant belly and instead of asking the size, I said, "So do you think he is still going to be 8 pounds?" His response, "How big was your largest baby?" Hmm...I thought, "She was 9 lbs. 10 oz, why?" "Well at least we know you can deliver a larger baby. I think this one may be closer to 9 lbs." That's what I figured! At least my IPs won't have a little bitty baby that they'll be scared of - I know when I had my first child at 9 lbs 6 oz, it was nice because I wasn't scared I'd break him!

He also checked Little A's heart beat and it was in the 150s - thumping right along.

The next part of the exam most women are anxious for and today was definitely one of those days. Since last week, there was not much "action" going on to help with labor and delivery I really had my fingers crossed that I'd be at least 3 cm dilated and the doctor would deliver good news, like having a baby by week's end.

Well the nurse came back in and he began the exam - it's not pleasant at all, but necessary...so he's poking around, checking to see if my cervix has effaced and dilated. "About 1.5 cm and still about the same for effacement." Nurse T knows what that means and she could see the disappointment in my face, boo! How frustrating!

I sat up and we discussed our options. Since I am not dilated to at least 3 or 4 cm, he wouldn't be able to break my bag of waters - this didn't leave any options. Wait...Wait...Wait...and Wait some more.

I have another appointment set for Tuesday, January 17 in the early morning and if I make it to that appointment that means we'll have to use medication or other methods to deliver Little A on Wednesday, January 18 (a week over).

I've never gone more than 4 days over due, so I am anxiously waiting the "sign" that I've had with my three children - the "show". I know it doesn't happen every time, but with me it does and within 24 hours I give birth. I say, "BRING IT ON!!!"

Of course as I'm walking to my car, all I could think of was my IPs and how long they've been waiting...and now it would be more waiting. I got into my car and started to cry...There's nothing I can do, but deliver them a healthy baby boy.

Little A it's time to come out and greet 2012 already!

1 comment:

  1. Dear Goldilocks,

    hard to find the right words for such a special situation …

    you just brought incredible joy and happiness in the life of two courageous fathers, but also to their well-loving families and their supporting friends in France (one of them is me !-) … in the exceptional beauty of your doing you have put, during all these months, such extraordinary attention, enthusiasm, generosity and of course some chips and salsa :-) that you have made this journey amazingly unique and heartwarming … you ARE an amazing woman ! …

    I may hope that besides his love for Mexican Food little Alexandre will inherit your tolerance and generosity …

    wishing you all well and a speedy recovery …

    Jozsef from Paris

    ReplyDelete